SEASONAL SKINCARE: ADAPTING YOUR ROUTINE FOR WINTER
As the temperature drops and the air becomes drier, your skin may require a little extra TLC in order to stay healthy and glowing throughout the winter months. The shift in weather often brings about changes in skin behaviour, so modifying your skincare routine in order to combat this is always a wise idea. In the following post, we’ll explore some of our top tips to help keep your complexion as radiant as possible throughout this season and beyond.
1. Hydration is key: With the drop in humidity, the skin tends to lose moisture more rapidly. Upgrading your moisturiser to a richer, more nourishing formula to provide a protective barrier against the colder air will help it stay comfortable and happy. Sothys Nutritive Replenishing Rich Cream and Ultra-Rich Creams are formulated with skin-soothing ingredients such as grape flower stem cells, organic argan oil, and phytosqualane derived from olive oil. These powerful creams were created to intensely nourish and regenerate the skin, restoring its balance and rebuilding the protective barrier.
2. Opt for gentle cleansing: Choose a gentle, hydrating cleanser that doesn’t strip away your natural oils. Avoid hot water, as it can further dry out the skin. Lukewarm water is gentler and helps maintain skin hydration. Sothys Organics Cleansing Oil for Face and Eyes is a gentle yet effective cleansing option for your winter routine. This luxurious product transforms into a milky emulsion with water, easily eliminating superficial skin impurities including waterproof make-up without leaving the skin tight.
3. Exfoliate wisely: While exfoliation is essential for removing dead skin cells and promoting cell turnover, it’s crucial to be gentle, especially in winter. Choose a mild exfoliant and limit exfoliation to once or twice a week to prevent over-drying or irritating the skin. Sothys Organics Skin Radiance Exfoliant combines raspberry seeds and Camargue rice grains with revitalising birch sap to delicately remove impurities and dead skin, revealing a more radiant complexion.
4. Protect from the elements: Even though it’s winter, it’s important to shield your skin from the sun. UV rays are ever present and can still damage your skin regardless of the season. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 and apply it generously, especially on exposed areas. Chleo carries a range of SPF options to keep your skin as youthful and as happy as it can be.
5. Pamper your body: Skincare doesn’t stop with the face. Treat your body to rich, hydrating lotions or body oils to prevent dryness and dullness. Pay special attention to areas prone to roughness, like elbows, knees, and heels. We love mixing some of the Sothys Ultra-Lipid SOS Serum into our usual body moisturiser, or spot applying it to particularly dry areas, for instant, powerful relief from dry skin.
6. Limit hot water: As satisfying as they may feel at the time, you should avoid taking overly long, hot showers as they can strip the skin of its natural oils, contributing to dryness. Opt for lukewarm water and shorter shower times to keep your skin hydrated.
7. Nourish from Within: Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water and consuming foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants. These have been proven to help support healthy skin from the inside out.
8. Protect from the elements while outdoors: Use hats, gloves, scarves, and other protective clothing to protect your skin from cold winds and low temperatures which can contribute to moisture loss.
By incorporating the above recommendations into your skincare routine, you can adapt to the seasonal changes and keep your skin healthy, supple, and radiant throughout the winter months. Listen to your skin’s needs and make adjustments as necessary to ensure you’re providing the care it needs during the chillier season. The team at Chleo are on-hand to assist you with building your ideal cold-weather routine and answer any skincare queries you may have.