THE ART OF LIPSTICK APPLICATION
Tips and Tricks for a Perfect Pout
Lipstick has the power to transform your look, enhance your natural beauty, and help you express your personal style. Whether you opt for a bold red, a playful pink, or a subtle nude shade, mastering your lipstick application is crucial for achieving a flawless and long-lasting finish.
In the following post, we share some of our expert tips and tricks for achieving that perfect pout.
1. Prep your canvas: Your natural lips are your canvas, and you’ll want to ensure an ideal foundation. Exfoliate your lips to remove any dead skin and create a smooth, even surface. We recommend following with ARTDECO’S Lip Filler Base, which is a multi-tasking product which nourishes the lips, filling in fine lines with with tiny, moisturising microbeads. Lip Filler Base also stops lipstick from smearing and bleeding, and will help your lipstick look last much longer.
2. Find your perfect shade match: The right lipstick shade can make or break your entire look. Start by determining your skin tone and undertones—either warm, cool, or neutral. Warmer skin tones usually work well with reds, oranges, and warm pinks, while cooler skin tones are beautifully complemented by cool pinks, berries, and purples. Be sure to also take into account your eye and hair colour, as the right shade should enhance these features and make them pop. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different colours to see which looks best in natural light, and also take into account the formula and how you’d like the product to look and feel on the lips. Ultimately, the best choice for you is the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable!
With ARTDECO’S Couture Lipstick refills and cases, you can choose from twelve sumptuously silky shades and two quality cases to get a lipstick that’s customised just for you! After all, lipstick is personal! The delightfully creamy texture of the Couture Lipstick gives your pout a smooth, silky sheen with satisfying colour payoff and a moisturising feel. Lips appear supple, balanced and beautiful. What’s more, this special formula is made from at least 80% ingredients of natural origin!
3. Use a Lip Pencil: Lip liner or pencil defines the contours of the lips, creating a crisp, polished look. It also prevents lipstick from feathering or bleeding, ensuring a clean finish. Outline your lips with a pencil that matches your lipstick shade or is slightly darker. Be sure to follow your natural lip shape, and if you want to make your lips appear fuller, you can over-line them slightly. Luckily, ARTDECO offers a wide range of lip pencil formulas and shades. The Invisible Lip Styler is ideal for those who want the benefits of a lip pencil without any additional colour. The product delivers a layer of invisible protection to the pout, making sure that your gloss or lipstick doesn't run, bleed or smudge.
4. Apply, Blot, and Layer: Less is more when it comes to the art of lipstick application. We suggest beginning by applying lipstick to the center of your lips and then working your way towards the outer corners. This technique will help you control the amount of product you use and prevent clumps. You can use a lip brush for precision (this is especially recommended if you’re working with darker, bolder colours) or simply apply directly from the tube, ensuring you stay within the lines you've drawn with your lip pencil. After your first coat of lipstick, blot your lips with a tissue. This step removes excess product and helps set the colour. For a richer colour with more depth, add a second layer and repeat the process as needed. If you need your lipstick to stay put as long as possible, we highly recommend considering ARTDECO’S Magic Fix. This hero product uses natural ingredients to seal your lipstick and create an invisible, protective, waterproof shield. Magic Fix makes lipstick completely smudge- proof and transfer-proof, so you won’t have to worry about your lip colour feathering, bleeding, or transferring onto mugs, glasses, shirt collars, etc.
5. Clean up your edges: Once all layers have been applied and you’ve achieved your ideal lip colour, clean up the edges of your lips using concealer, foundation, or a pencil that matches your skin. This step may seem tedious, but it will sharpen the lip line, define your lip shape, and result in a polished finish.
6. Reapply when necessary: The above steps will result in a lipstick look that lasts—and if you’re using ARTDECO’S Magic Fix, your look should last all day. However, if you don’t have Magic Fix on hand, activities such as eating, drinking, and other daily rituals will cause lipstick to fade eventually. It’s therefore important to carry your lipstick with you to touch-up as needed. ARTDECO’S Couture Lipstick Refills are just as gorgeous looking in the tube as they are on the lips, and with two options of stylish cases to choose from, you’ll love to keep it close.
Mastering the art of the perfect pout is possible, and following the tips above will help get you there. With the right products, some experimentation, a steady hand, and a bit of patience, you’ll be well on your way towards your loveliest lips yet!